Established in 2015, the NYU Shanghai Art Gallery (NYUSHAG) is a university-based cultural institution committed to public research, incubating ideas and exchange amongst artists, scholars, students, practitioners, and publics and working outside of traditional disciplinary boundaries, through exhibitions, public programs, publications and residencies. Starting in the fall of 2018, the gallery will undergo a new direction and development with an incoming gallery director/curator.
The Curatorial Assistant will report to the gallery director/curator and provide curatorial and administrative support on all elements of NYUSHAG projects, including research, development, production, and management of exhibitions, public programs, and publications.
The position is an opportunity for an emerging cultural worker to develop their career within the gallery and museum sector, acquire a wide range of curatorial skills and experience associated with the programming of a university art gallery, and gain a comprehensive knowledge of working within both a small organization and large institution.
Research & Development
- Conduct bibliographic and other curatorial research related to project development
- Assist in drafting project proposals, presentations, and grant applications
- Draft and manage checklists, loan forms, agreements, proposals, and grants
- Prepare and coordinate loan/participation/commission agreements
- Communicate with collaborators and guests about presentation/production of work
- Assist with writing, editing, and preparing of didactic and interpretive materials, including object labels, wall texts, guides, catalogue entries, etc.
- Support collaborators and guests with research of local fabricators and vendors
- Provide on-site support during installations/deinstallations
- Oversee maintenance of exhibitions between opening and closing
- Assist in coordination of event logistics, including staffing, scheduling, transportation, equipment, etc.
- Provide on-site support during public programs
- Assist in gathering and securing information, texts, and images for publication
- Coordinate amongst contributors, editors, translators, and designers
- Assist with writing and proofreading certain copy
- Distribute publications to participants, contributors, lenders, etc.
- Monitor work flow of project schedules
- Assist in drafting, tracking, and maintenance of budgets
- Coordinates logistical needs for director/curator, collaborators, and guests, including travel and event-related logistics
- Manage gallery calendar and assist in managing director/curator’s calendar
- Manage incoming/outgoing phone calls, e-mails, and correspondence
- Serve as liaison with other university offices, departments, and entities
- Maintain filing system
- Source and acquire gallery equipment and supplies
- Prepare and process documents, including reports, administrative forms, and presentations
- Organize and attend meetings, take minutes, and distribute minutes
- Oversee public outreach initiatives, in collaboration with university communications
- Manage content on NYUSHAG website
- Staff gallery reception and provide tours as needed
- Attend and participate in all public programs and events
- Travel as time and budget allow for research and professional development purposes
- Coordinate and supervise students, interns, and volunteers
- Perform additional duties as needed