The Director of Admissions, NYU Shanghai, is tasked with the creation of an undergraduate outreach and recruitment strategy and admissions policies and procedures for the NYU Shanghai campus, in alignment with university enrollment goals and objectives. The Director of Admissions will analyze internal and external data to inform strategy and educate university enrollment management constituencies about industry best practices and environmental trends, and will lead a diverse staff toward a unified vision for the achievement of enrollment goals for NYU Shanghai.
The main responsibilities include:
Recruitment and strategic planning (30%)
- Develop strategy for recruitment and outreach to ensure overall enrollment goals are met.
- Oversee targeted outreach programs within China to create a pipeline of strong Chinese candidates, including the development of on-campus summer programs.
- Oversee targeted US/international outreach plan to ensure recruitment and yield of most competitive US/international candidates.
- In conjunction with senior leadership, develop long term strategy to steadily increase class size to ultimate goal, adapting the admission process to accommodate this growth.
- Examine long-term recruitment plans and strategy, working with senior leadership to explore best models for effective global recruitment.
- Oversee all on and off campus admission events, including but not limited to counselor programs, candidate weekends, information sessions, and yield programming; lead team in planning and execution of all events.
- In conjunction with admissions senior leadership, work to develop and execute division-wide strategic plan.
Management and leadership (25%)
- Oversee NYU Shanghai admissions teams in Shanghai and New York; provide direction to ensure alignment with university enrollment goals and objectives.
- Serve as NYU Shanghai’s representative within the admissions senior leadership and enrollment management leadership teams.
- Ensure all staff are appropriately trained on NYU and its systems, and possess the necessary skills and knowledge to conduct outreach and evaluate applications.
- Provide leadership for the recruitment, selection, orientation, development and retention of high caliber staff; ensure offices have well-qualified and properly trained employees to carry out the organization's mission.
- Identify and prioritize assignments to ensure deadlines are met and review work for accuracy; monitor attendance and maintain performance records.
- Oversee all visiting staff from New York and Abu Dhabi admissions and financial aid offices.
- Oversee NYU Shanghai admissions budget; serve as approving authority for all travel expenditure and outreach/recruitment initiatives.
- Work to closely align data management and systems usage across all local and New York based enrollment management divisions, including the Offices of Institutional Research and the Registrar; ensure systems are developed and used in a way that best supports NYU Shanghai.
- Provide contextual and strategic admissions reports to enrollment management leadership and university leadership as needed.
- Work with Associate Directors and other senior admissions leadership to ensure efficiency, effectiveness, and integrity of evaluation and selection process.
- Work with the Office of Student Life to provide accurate retention and graduation data to the VP of Enrollment Management.
Communication and relationship building (20%)
- Represent NYU Shanghai to external constituents including, but not limited to, the college counseling community and professional associations through committee involvement, conference presentations and individual relationships.
- Position NYU Shanghai as a source of expertise in US higher education within the region/China.
- Represent NYU’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions to all local internal and external constituents; act as key liaison between enrollment management divisions in Shanghai and New York.
- Serve as NYU Shanghai's chief admissions liaison to all local, regional, and national agencies, including the Ministry of Education in China, acting in accordance with local cultural norms and expectations.
- Work with Public Affairs and Office of Undergraduate Admissions marketing team to ensure alignment of messaging and materials.
- Ensure the successful transition of each incoming class from Admissions to Campus Life, and provide support for the first year experience and other student success initiatives, including involvement in first year conversations.