The Career Development Specialist serves as a professional coach by advising students in analyzing interests and skills and developing career goals for employment or graduate school. The Specialist will oversee career programs, assessment and marketing strategies and mentor and coach staff members. Additionally, the Specialist will support employer relations and job development to expand opportunities for students in China and around the world.
The main responsibilities include:
Career Coaching 40%
- Career Coaching: Provide students with professional, individualized career guidance and support. Advising topics include resume and cover letter writing, choosing a major & career, self-assessment, interviewing skills and exploring internship opportunities.
- Pre-Professional/Graduate School Advising: Refer students to appropriate resources for pursuing higher education. Develop connections with Academics, Faculty and other departments to support their graduate school preparation and applications.
- Career Resources: Review, develop and promote print and online resources including industry guides, skill guides, online tools, and other resources as needed.
- Mentor and train staff in their development as career coaches.
Assessment and Marketing 30%
- Utilize NYU Shanghai online platforms to gather and create reports for the overall usage of the Career Development Center.
- Gather best practices and assessment processes to implement when developing an overall audit of career-related activities.
- Manage and coordinate the data collection, analysis, and reporting of the annual surveys.
- Work closely with colleagues to develop marketing strategy and compose content for promoting the Career Development Center to students and other potential audiences.
Event Management and Employer Relations 30%
- Collaborate with staff, faculty, alumni, student leaders, employers on strategic design and development of resources, programs, and effective partnerships.
- Design and implement career workshops and seminars to enhance student understanding of career path, career related skills and industry-specific job search information and processes.
- Work with the Career Development Center team to manage big events such as Career Fair, On Campus Recruitment Sessions, Employer Open House and other events.
- Work with the Career Development Center team to research industries and job opportunities in different regions around the world to better support the diverse student body.