The Emerging Media Program at NYU Shanghai and related majors are focused on exploring the expressive possibilities brought about by emerging forms of media, technology, and communication. Through a project-based curriculum Emerging Media students work with hardware and software to develop experimental physical and screen-based interactive projects.
The students, faculty, and staff of the Emerging Media Program depend on the smooth operation of our technology and studio spaces to do their work. The Studio Associate will support all aspects of the Emerging Media Studio, equipment and resources under the supervision of the Technology and Studio Operations Manager, to ensure safe and efficient operations for students and faculty.
The Emerging Media Studio is mainly comprised of following spaces: the Main Studio (room 826), Classrooms (rooms 818, 824, 825, and 933), the Capstone Studio (room 823), Equipment Center (room 826A), Immersive Media Lab (room 950), Digital Fabrication Lab (room 823C), Wood Shop (room 817), Digital Farm (room 821), Teaching Prep Rooms, and Material Storage Rooms.
Under the supervision of Technology and Studio Operations Manager the main responsibilities of a Studio Associate are:
Studio Daily Operation Support (20%)
- Support the daily operation of the Emerging Media Studio from Monday to Friday during routine hours, as well as occasional additional events.
- Perform daily maintenance routines to ensure a clean, well-organized, and safe work space.
- Support daily requests from faculty and students.
Equipment management and maintenance (30%)
- Support of the Emerging Media Equipment Center, system, equipment and related resources, and ensure the protection of assets through oversight of regular inventory and maintenance. Equipment includes digital media equipment such as cameras and laptops, as well as hand tools, and electronic components, etc.
- Report of the status of equipment and materials on a regular basis.
- Responsibility for the service, maintenance, and inventory of all Emerging Media equipment on a regular basis.
- Work with students and faculty in the training and use of equipment and resources.
Program-Related Procurement (10%)
- Assist in daily procurement needs.
Classroom services (20%)
- Assist in the daily maintenance of existing services and solutions (including classroom support, general equipment, etc.) as well as new services development.
Community Communication (20%)
- Work closely and cooperate with different departments as well as third party vendors to support / meet daily requirements of operations, courses, institutional asset management, etc. Eg. Facilities, IT, Finance, Asset Management, Procurement, vendors, etc.