The Emerging Media Program at NYU Shanghai and related majors are focused on exploring the expressive possibilities brought about by emerging forms of media, technology, and communication. Through a rigorous project-based curriculum Emerging Media students work with hardware and software to develop experimental physical and screen-based interactive works.
The students, faculty, and staff of the Emerging Media Program depend on the smooth operation of our technology and lab spaces to do their work. The Lab Technician will support all aspects of the Emerging Media Lab, electronics components, machines and lab resources etc. under the supervision of the Studio and Technology Operations Manager, to ensure a safe, efficient, and productive lab environment.
The Emerging Media Lab is mainly comprised of following spaces: the Main Studio, Classrooms, the Recitation Lab or “Lab Lab” as it is known, Equipment Center, Immersive Media Lab, Digital Fabrication Lab, Wood Shop, Digital Farm as well as various Teaching Prep Rooms, and Material Rooms.
The role of Lab Technician is to function as key partner for lab users and ensure an efficient, continuous operation of labs as well as daily equipment maintenance.
Under the supervision of Studio and Technology Operations Manager the main responsibilities of a Lab Technician are:
Daily Lab Operation Support (30%)
- Support the daily operation of the Emerging Media Lab from Monday to Friday during routine hours, as well as occasional additional events.
- Perform daily maintenance routines to ensure a safe, efficient, and productive lab environment.
- Respond to all user-requests as well as develop action plans to resolve the issues timely and effectively.
- Provide on-site technology support and services for lab and program-related events including lab supplies, equipment, critical sample storage, program level events etc.
- Interface with Facilities, Property Management and Public Safety for lab infrastructure, risk management and other internal departments for lab related requests etc. Act as a HSE coordinator in lab to ensure safety.
Equipment Management and Maintenance (35%)
- Support of the Emerging Media Equipment Center, system, equipment and related resources, and ensure the protection of lab equipment through oversight of regular maintenance.
- Report of the status of equipment and materials on a regular basis.
- Responsibility for the service, maintenance, and inventory of all Emerging Media equipment on a regular basis.
- Work with students and faculty in the training and use of equipment and resources.
- Develop and maintain guidelines and SOPs of using lab resources and equipment etc.
- Be responsible for the day to day support and maintenance of lab equipment. This includes, but not limited:
- Various electronics components, sensors, boards etc. (e.g. transistor, resistor, capacitor, connectors, motor, LED, diode, buzzer, breadboard, etc.)
- Digital media equipment (e.g. camera, light kit, tripod, shotgun, headset, etc.)
- Hand tools (e.g. soldering kit, helping hand, wire stripper, multimeter, etc.)
- Wood shop (includes saws, sander, drills, etc.)
Program-Related Procurement (10%)
- Assist in daily procurement needs.
- Process purchasing and maintenance of equipment and components etc.
Classroom Services and Support (15%)
- Maintain existing technology services and solutions (including classroom support, general equipment, etc.) as well as new services development.
Community Communication (10%)
- Work closely and cooperate with different departments as well as third party vendors to support / meet daily requirements of operations and courses. etc. Eg. Facilities, IT, Finance, Procurement, vendors, etc.