Arts & Sciences Associates supports an academic areas within Arts & Sciences. He or she will serve as the lead support in that area/those areas they will also coordinate with other Arts & Sciences administrative staff to manage Dean-level projects related to their specialized areas (e.g. reappointment).
NYU Shanghai Arts & Sciences: Chinese Language Program
- Manage program budget and program-related financial administration.
- Manage and order office supplies.
- Liaise with IT and OFA to monitor and maintain computer equipment.
- Liaise with Facilities to monitor and maintain office area and furniture.
- Compose and organize program-related communications on behalf of Director.
- Maintain communications calendar, program calendar, contact lists, and faculty class schedules for program directors.
- Maintain internal program library.
- Maintain program Wechat account, including writing reports on students’ activities, faculty’s activities, event stories, announcements, etc., designing the layouts of pages and managing and replying the comments.
- Manage teaching and learning materials and resources, including maintaining an updating teaching and learning resource websites, archiving teaching materials, photos of activities and students’ work, purchasing program library books and periodicals upon requests.
Faculty and Teaching Support
- Manage the on-/off-boarding process for faculty.
- Assist faculty with the procurement and dissemination of course materials, including course textbooks, copyright permissions for course packs, reference books, and software.
- Assist faculty with researching and arranging field trips and guest speakers.
- Assist faculty with research materials, travel, and receipts related to their professional development funds.
- Liaise with Academic Affairs regarding issues and policies related to course materials, course evaluations, field trips, guest speakers, exams, etc.
- Manage language clinic, including managing faculty’ clinic working schedules online, sending out monthly reports to Directors, collecting feedback and conducting data analysis, managing payment with the supplier of online service, coordinating the clinic required tasks and standards with faculty.
- Support teaching work and learning activities/events, including HSK preparation classes, Evening language and culture activities, Friday fieldtrips, placement exams and online language study. This support may include classroom reservations; liaising with Facilities and IT; catering; restaurant reservations; car reservations; material purchase; and event promotion.
- Undertake projects as assigned by Director or Dean.
- Ongoing projects include: assessment preparation; faculty meetings preparation and support; mid-term and final grade comparisons preparation; mid-term evaluation and FCE preparation; online course reader development and maintenance; preparation of materials related to faculty hiring and appointments; reappointment preparation; supplemental course evaluation development and maintenance; and syllabus collection.
Events and Meetings Management
- Support ongoing program events, including Chinese pedagogy forum; Chinese speech contest; annual internal seminar, intercultural story-telling event with EAP, faculty team-building events; faculty journals, and faculty meetings. This support may include room reservations; liaising with Facilities and IT; catering; restaurant reservations; car reservations; travel support for external guests; and event promotion.
- Non-regular events support may include point-person management of and on-site support for large events, such as colloquia, forums, conferences, lectures, or workshops.