The Athletics Manager provides administrative direction and oversight for all intercollegiate, intramural, recreational, and fitness programs, facilities, and activities. The Manager is responsible for ensuring compliance with all athletics regulations, administering departmental funds, and sustaining a culture of sportsmanship, professionalism and respect at all levels for student athletes. Some evening and weekend work and travel may be required.
The main responsibilities include:
- Manages unit of two full time staff, part time Athletic Trainer, and student workers.
- Provide administrative direction and oversight for all athletics programs and activities;
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and promotion of intercollegiate, intramural, and recreational programs, including scheduling games for sports teams, and developing and overseeing a range of recreational programs and activities;
- Coach a sports team and/or provide conditioning training or teach fitness programs as schedule permits.
- Manage the issuance and maintenance of recreational athletic equipment and facilities and rental of athletic space;
- Hire, train, mentor and evaluate coaches and fitness instructors;
- Establish and maintain standards of scholarship, conduct for team travel and training, dress, and practice rules for all athletes;
- Monitor equality of opportunity in men’s and women’s athletics, keep informed of legal requirements, and consult with University staff regarding compliance with the law and University policy;
- Act as the liaison to leagues and local sports governance associations and universities;
- Schedule and coordinate team practice times and facilities;
- Develop student-athlete leadership programs;
- Collaborate with Public Affairs in the preparation of press releases and the arrangement of media coverage for athletic events;
- Develop and manage departmental, team, and special events budgets; order equipment and team uniforms; and ensure departmental compliance with all University finance policies and procedures;
- Collect and analyze departmental statistics and data and prepare and distribute reports;
- Support and assist in Student Life, Wellness and other related University activities;
- Participate in special projects or committee assignments as requested by supervisor or University leadership;
- Perform other duties as assigned.