The NYU Shanghai Library seeks an energetic and service-oriented Library Assistant. Reporting to the Head of Access Services, the person works collaboratively with a team of library assistants to support a variety of library services such as circulation, course reserves, academic commons and global delivery. The successful candidate also takes a leader role in managing all responsibilities during weekends and evenings. The person is expected to provide high touch user-services and be tasked with making routine library clerical decisions. The work requires that the employee to have good knowledge, skill and ability in library clerical functions and be willing to assist in ad-hoc projects. Weekend and evening hours are required.
The main responsibilities include:
- Performing the full range of circulation desk procedures using an automated circulation system, including charging out books, magazines and other library holdings; carry out overdue book recall procedures and figures; collect and record fines; discharge incoming library materials using an automated circulation system and inspect them for damages.
- Patrolling library stacks and academic commons to ensure the general appearance of the library.
- Carrying out library procedures and policies.
- Closing the library on some evenings.
- Overseeing the operation of the library during weekends.
- Assisting patron with directional, access, technical and ready-reference questions in person, on phone and through e-mail.
- Assisting in Ask-a-Librarian service in global network as
- Handling routine complaints.
- Processing and preparing delivery services materials for patrons.
- Reviewing course syllabus, processing course reserve and linking services requests.
- Replacing books, magazines and other library holdings on shelves according to Library of Congress Classification System.
- Assuring accurate library shelving by shelf-reading and reshelving of materials.
- Compiling a variety of statistics concerning library usage, patron inquiries and book circulation and maintains library records.
- Assisting with library program preparation and implementation, as directed.
- Participating in student worker training as needed.
- Working closely with staff from other functions of the library and Information Technology Services staff on services related to the library.
- Operating a variety of standard office and library machines.
- Performing a variety of library clerical tasks, as assigned.