The Coordinator for Tutoring & Academic Skills oversees the Learning Assistants (student tutors), Information Assistants (student reception staff), and other academic-support programs within the Office of Academic Affairs. The position reports to the Director of the Academic Resource Center
Academic Planning, Programming & Communications
- Collaborate with faculty, advising, and ARC staff to support retention and academic improvement for students with students on academic probation/warning or low midterm/final grades.
- Collaborate with faculty, advising, and ARC staff to identify unmet academic need and oversee development of related resources (e.g., workshops, tutorials, special events).
- Represent the Academic Resource Center on University committees, as needed.
- Develop and coordinate activities to promote and publicize services.
- Perform staff duties during Student Orientation, Candidate Weekends, Admitted Student Events, and other events throughout the year. This may occasionally require work during school breaks, and on some weekends and evenings.
Training & Supervision
- Recruit and hire qualified Learning Assistants, and implement ongoing evaluation and training for Learning Assistants.
- Deliver pre-semester and ongoing training for tutors on relevant University policies, office procedures, and tutoring strategies.
- Develop and improve training materials, including Tutor Manual, tutor-training modules.
- Develop learning outcomes and assessment for professional development of tutors and for continuous improvement of tutoring program.
- Develop an observation and feedback process for individual tutoring sessions to strengthen tutoring program and student learning experience.
- Pursue and maintain tutor certification through College Reading and Learning Association.
- Recruit, hire, mentor, and supervise ARC Information Assistants.
- Develop community-building events for ARC student leaders, including Learning Assistants and Information Assistants.
- Meet individually with students seeking academic support, as needed.
- Create and modify online tutoring schedules.
- Develop and implement systems to track student use, faculty and student satisfaction, and student performance and improvement; analyze, interpret, and respond to data.
- Other duties as assigned.