The Communications Director will set and guide the strategy for all, marketing, digital communications and public affairs strategies. The Communications Director will be responsible for planning and managing all communications messaging and activities, and building external relationships with NYU Shanghai’s stakeholders. The Director will work partner with senior colleagues within the organization on a variety of strategic initiatives and collaterals to support NYU Shanghai’s mission.
The main responsibilities include:
- Plan, implement and lead a global, integratedcommunications strategy for NYU Shanghai that presents a consistent,compelling, and accurate account of the people and programs of theuniversity to relevant audiences in the China, United States and around theworld. The content of communications will include written and spoken text,video, and other forms. The channels of communications will include liveand remote presentations to live audiences, the NYU Shanghai web site,traditional media, social media, and other forms.
- Supervise an effective public affairs team of approximately 10 professionalsin Shanghai, comprising both native Chinese and native English speakers,with the capacity to execute the strategy in a consistent, unified, effectivemanner.
- Maintain effective administrative systems to ensure that accurate andattractive content is captured, developed, and presented consistently andefficiently using channels that will have maximum impact for each unit oftime and money invested (often by presenting the same content throughmultiple channels).
- Work with colleagues in New York to ensure that NYU Shanghai’s messagesharmonize with and advance NYU’s overall communications strategy aboutits distinctive qualities starting with its global network, and to create newopportunities to tell NYU Shanghai’s story in New York and with keyinfluencers across the United States.
- The Director will serve as the spokesperson for the university.
- Supervises all university communications accounts and activities; assure the meeting of departmental financial goals; and, maintains and develops staff.
- Supports leadership communications.
- Oversees the development and execution of public affairs, marketing, digital communications, social media and other communications strategies and programs to increase the visibility of the people and programs of the university.
- Work with faculty to implement outreach strategies in support of their respective academic activities.
- Supervises the writing of and edits press releases, articles, fact sheets, and backgrounders; cultivates media relationships; monitors responses to media requests, press conferences, media lunches and interviews, and special events.
- Responsible for overseeing the development of presentations, reports, and fact sheets in support of leadership communications as well as the outreach activities of the university’s various administrative offices.
- Responsible for ensuring “client satisfaction”.
- Willingly take on other assignments from communications perspective that will assist NYU Shanghai in realizing its mission.